Four Rings for Saxony
75 Years of Auto Union
In June 1932, the four most important Saxon vehicle manufacturers merged,
the two Zwickau luxury car manufacturers Horchwerke AG and Audi-Werke AG, the automobile division of Wanderer-Werke AG from Chemnitz-Siegmar, which focused on mid-range vehicles, and the Zschopau engine works J. S. Rasmussen AG, the parent company of the emerging motorcycle and small car manufacturer DKW, merged to form the “industry giant” Auto Union AG.
In 2007, this event marked its 75th anniversary—a reason for the Chemnitz Museum of Industry, the Dresden Transport Museum, and the August Horch Museum Zwickau to jointly highlight the significance and eventful history of Saxony’s first automotive conglomerate in a shared exhibition.
From June 9 to September 2, the Chemnitz Museum of Industry presented a selection of historic vehicles from 1932 to 1945 under the title “Four Rings for Saxony – 75 Years of Auto Union”, offering a brief glimpse into the different developments in East and West Germany after 1945. Vehicles from all four manufacturers were displayed, including an Audi Front, an Audi 920, a Wanderer W23, the DKW F5, F7, and F9, Horch cars, as well as DKW motorcycles. Commercial and military vehicles were also featured. The exhibition was complemented by products related to vehicle manufacturing, many of which today could be considered promotional or fan items.
The history of Auto Union is legendary. The merger of the four Saxon vehicle companies into one group was initiated and supported by the state-owned Saxon State Bank. By consolidating operations and streamlining production, the group was able to respond positively to the sales difficulties of the German automotive industry during the Great Depression and counter the threat of an existential crisis. The traditional brands were maintained, while new technical standards and a harmonized exterior design were introduced. Significant advancements included research in lightweight and plastic construction as well as the development of high-performance engines. The company chose the symbol of four interlinked rings, representing the four integrated companies and embodying pioneering innovations, sporting successes, and technically perfect and aesthetically impressive vehicles. These qualities established the outstanding reputation of Saxon automobiles.
The exhibition was officially opened at the Chemnitz Museum of Industry by Prime Minister Milbradt, who also served as patron of the exhibition.
The exhibition and holiday program were kindly supported by AUDI AG Fairs; Events and Sports Marketing Germany; Audi Sales Support GmbH, Eastern Region; AUDI Zentrum Chemnitz AG; German Museum of Technology Berlin; ADAC Sachsen e.V.; VP Service GmbH, Pulsnitz; TOYS'R'US, Chemnitz; Manfred Wader-Plasicart, Elterlein; and Holzmarkt Chemnitz.
Exhibition of the Chemnitz Museum of Industry in cooperation with the August Horch Museum Zwickau and the Dresden Transport Museum.